11 6 / 2012
SHIT I CAN'T MAKE UP: Convo between my 7year-old students today
- (Names have been altered slightly, just in case.)
- 1: I have a new crusshhhhh
- 2: Me too! On a boy!
- 3: You're a boy with a crush on a boy?
- 2: Yeah he's really cute.
- 3: Oh.
- (pause for a bit)
- 2: Boys can like boys. I just can't marry him because boys can't marry boys.
- 4: Yeah they can. You can marry whoever you want.
- 2: Really?
- 1: YEAH my tia has a wife so now I have a titi and a auntie.
- 2: Okay. Then maybe I'll marry him.
- 5: (from across the room) No you can't you're seven.
- (Age was apparently the only foreseeable problem anyone of my elementary schoolers could see with gay marriage. I almost cried out of happiness. Later, when I was asked if boys could kiss anyone they wanted, I replied "only if they want to kiss you back." And Josie responded "Yeah! Your body your life.")
- My students are the shit.